About RJ Dance
Established in 1976, R J Dance is one of the most experienced civil engineering contractors in the South East. Our core values – focused around our watchword of quality – have enabled us to grow to provide integrated services to deliver comprehensive, cost-effective solutions for private and public-sector clients.
Quality is our watchword and underpins everything we do.
- Quality services: We deliver projects to the highest standards: company policy is to deliver a service that is second to none.
- Quality delivery: We assign lead professionals, trained in Prince II methods of working, to each project to ensure quality.
- Quality equipment: We use the best plant and materials.
- Quality staff: We recruit and develop the best people, ensuring staff have the appropriate qualifications.
- Quality improvements: We deliver year-on-year improvements as part of our ISO 9001 quality standard accreditation.
- Quality Team: Our dedicated Quality Management Team ensure our Quality System is applied across our operations, obtaining feedback from our customers, monitoring objectives and targets and auditing our systems to ensure any issues are dealt with swiftly and efficiently.
- Quality innovators: We were one of the first contractors to obtain the environmental quality standard ISO 14001.
- Quality benchmarks: Our membership of key trade organisations requires us to meet benchmark standards, providing further reassurance for our customers.
We continually reinvest profit back into the company to enable R J Dance to provide the best possible service for all our clients.
- Investing in equipment: Our rolling programme of investment in new vehicles, plant and depots means we are optimally placed to meet the needs of our clients across the South East.
- Investing in technology: Our investment in relevant technology enables us to provide an integrated, efficient service to our clients and run a virtually paperless office.
- Investing in our staff: Staff development is fundamental to our business success. We are committed to the Investors in People programme: all our staff have structured personal development plans, with all our operational staff trained to meet the requirements of the construction industry’s governing bodies
Local – and passionate about it
- Local bases: With six bases across the South East, we are ideally situated to undertake projects across East and West Sussex, Surrey, Kent and Greater London.
- Local assets: We own a large part of our plant and machinery, including two 26-tonne grab lorries and a fleet of over 100 vehicles. This means we are not reliant on third-party suppliers, enabling us to keep our costs down.
- Local vehicles: We own 21 ‘O’ licenses for vehicle storage situated across the region, meaning our service vehicles are never more than a short drive away from a job.
- Local labour: Using local labour enables us to benefit from local knowledge and skills – and the region to get the maximum economic benefit from projects.
- Local plant hire: We own our own plant hire business, meaning our expert mechanics can be on site quickly to fix any problems with machinery. Unlike many plant hire firms, we offer out-of-hours support.
Comprehensive services – to deliver complete solutions
- Civil engineering
- Traffic management
- Highway maintenance
- Road signing and markup
- Emergency response
- Design and consultancy
- Construction, Design and Management (CDM) co-ordination
- Traffic management
- Project management
- Plant hire
Safety – first and foremost
- Industry benchmark: For many years we have been a member of the Contractors Health & Safety Assessment Scheme (CHAS), which requires us to be audited regularly.
- Dedicated manager: We have a full-time Health & Safety manager to make sure every project complies.
- Bespoke plans: For every major project we develop a Construction Phase Health &
A family business – with family values
- Family values: The family’s belief is that the company should be run for the benefit of all who serve it. This is why we continue to invest profit back into the company.
- The extended family: Looking after those who serve the company extends to our sub-contractors. The respect we show them means we have built up successful long-term relationships with reliable, trustworthy sub-contractors, whom we can call on to help deliver projects.
- Good neighbours: We work hard on every project to maintain positive relations with all stakeholders, from inspectors to the public, from utility providers to nearby businesses. We’ve even carried out some projects at night to minimise disruption.
Partnerships – punching above our weight
Although we are a family-run business, strategic partnerships enable us to deliver complex projects. Our strong relationship with Aggregate Industries gives us the support and benefit of an international conglomerate, while enabling us to stay local and independent.
Environmental champions – for all our futures
- Environmental pioneers: We were one of the first companies in our sector to gain the environmental quality standard ISO 14001. Our commitment to the standard means we require both suppliers and sub-contractors to meet our environmental criteria.
- Committed recyclers: Where appropriate, we use our own recycled materials processed in our depots.
- Environmental partnerships: Our relationship with Aggregate Industries enables us to reduce our use of non-renewable resources, use more recycled waste as raw materials and reduce our carbon footprint by cutting freight miles.